MSK Ultrasound is now being used to visualize:
• Fluid in joints
MSK Ultrasound has many advantages over x-ray and MRI:
– It is an office procedure
– No major safety issues (no ionizing radiation)
– More sensitive than plain radiology
– As sensitive as MRI for erosions and synovitis
– Allows more accurate injections and for joint aspirations (removal of fluid) in some instances
– It is dynamic and allows movement and real-time evaluation
Ultrasound images performed by Dr. Speciale:
1. Needle guided ultrasound Prolotherapy injection of the shoulder supraspinatus tendon
3. Ultrasound-guided needle into the synovial fluid of the knee joint (note the white needle into the black space)
2. Fluid of the knee joint (black) under ultrasound
4. Knee joint post aspiration reveals fluid totally removed.
MSK Ultrasound will never replace a good history and physical examination. What MSK Ultrasound will do is add another tool to improve patient responses to treatment in some cases. Dr. Tim Speciale is trained in MSK Ultrasound and utilizes MSK Ultrasound as another modality to further aid in the patient‚ overall outcome to diagnosis and treatment.